Patient Bill of Rights
The faculty and staff of the University of Connecticut School of Dental Medicine are here to provide you with the best dental treatment possible. We believe that you have entrusted
us with your dental care, therefore, you have a right to receive certain considerations from the School of Dental Medicine.
1. You have the right to the most appropriate care the School can provide for your problem, without regard to race, sex, national origin, color, religion, age or disability.
2. You have the right to be treated kindly and respectfully by all personnel; to be addressed by your proper name and without undue familiarity; and to be assured that your
individuality will be respected.
3. You have the right to know which members of the health care team (dental student, dental hygiene student, graduate dentist and/or faculty member) are directly responsible for
your care, including their names.
4. You have the right to ask your dental student and other members of the health care team questions and to receive answers from them concerning your dental condition, treatment and
plans for your care.
5. You have the right to discuss any treatment, procedure, or operation planned for you with members of the health care team, so that you may understand the purpose, probable
results and/or alternatives and risks involved before consenting to the agreed upon treatment plan.
6. You have the right to know what we feel is the optimal treatment plan for you as well as the right to ask us to scale down that optimal plan to fit within your financial or time
constraints, if possible.
7. You have the right to request an appointment to have your record reviewed by a faculty member who is familiar with your treatment.
8. You have the right to receive an estimate of the cost of dental treatment and to be informed of changes in the total cost, if changes in your treatment plan occur.
9. You have the right to withdraw consent and to discontinue participation in the treatment or activity at any time.
10. You have the right to receive assistance in the case of dental emergency.